Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Morning Breakfast


On Saturday morning, it has become tradition for Dustin and I to make a big breakfast together. I never know what he's going to want before hand, he waits until he wakes up to decide. This usually results in an early morning trip to the grocery store in our pajamas. There is one breakfast that we both particulary love, buttermilk coffee cake. So, this morning I thought I would post a picture and a recipe for the two people that read my blog. I always love when people give me tried and true recipes to use....so here you go.

1 cup butter (softened)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; stir in alternately the combined dry ingredients; add vanilla and buttermilk. Put half the batter in the bottom of a 9 x 12 inch pan (I use a slightly smaller one so my cake is puffier) then half the topping. Add the remaining batter and the remaining topping. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Topping: 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 4 tbsp white sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon. Yum!

The recipe actually says to bake for 45 to 50 minutes, but that always cooks it too much for me, I like it soft and moist.


4 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

I'm willing to bet there are more than 2 people who read your blog. :)

the lucas' said...

We have the same tradition but on Sunday mornings, my kids luv it!! I've made coffee cake but I'll have to try your buttermilk coffee cake! :)

Sher said...

Sounds yummy!
We will for sure try it.

Jensen Family said...

mmmmmm i can't wait to try this recipe!